Sign up for our Summer Arts Program
Blue Skies Gallery is offering a fun and affordable Summer Arts Program for kids age 9-16. Our eight week program starts July 11, 2017 and runs for eight weeks, ending on August 31, 2017.
Our classes will be Tuesday-Thursday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. We offer a morning session from 10:00-12:00 and and afternoon session from 1:00 to 3:00. You can also choose the all day option (BEST VALUE) with a break for lunch. Lunch is not provided. You must provide a lunch for your child. Refridgerator and microwave is available.
WE RECOMMEND THE FULL DAY AND FULL WEEK EXPERIENCE AS THIS WILL PROVIDE THE MOST ART INSTRUCTION AND CONTINUITY FOR THE STUDENT. NOT TO MENTION IT IS THE BEST VALUE. AT THE END OF THE EIGHT WEEKS YOUR CHILD WILL HAVE LEARNED A VARIETY OF ART TECHNIQUES IN A VARIETY OF MEDIA.
1/2 Day: $30 per day or $85 for the week
Full Day: $40 per day or $100 for the entire week.
All supplies are included.
Call to Register. 757-727-0028 Tuesday - Sunday
Week 1: July 11-13
"Hold the Forts" Discover local history through art
- Tuesday - Learn to weave as our settlers did
- Wednesday - Paint with water colors scenes of Fort Monroe. Learn to uses washes for sky and sea, create clouds with tissues and add birds and boats for fun.
- Thursday - Pencil and Charcoal drawing of Fort Monroe focusing on shading and value
Week 2: July 18-20
"Kaleidoscope of Color": Experimanting with Color
- Tuesday - Glass Fusing to make Sun Catchers and Night Lights
- Wednesday - Learn to mix colors. Paint a landscape with only two colors, then paint a light, dark or high-contrast version of the same landscape
- Thursday - Learn color theory and colored pencil techniques while drawing colorful fun objects and landscapes
Week 3: July 25-27
"What on Earth": Art with Nature
- Tuesday - Glass Fusing creating mosaic picture frames from rock, glass and shells. Mosaic wine bottles to put plants in.
- Wednesday - Painting local wildlife. Paint a critter that looks real, paying attention to the texture of fur or feathers.
- Thursday - Weave your personalized dream catcher using materials from nature.
Week 4: August 1-3
"Ride the Waves": How the water can influence art
- Tuesday - Paint a picture using wet powdered glass.
- Wednesday - Paint a waterfront scene focusing on reflection, then paint the same scene in a storm. What colors will you use. How will you paint the choppy water?
- Thursday - Learn to draw calm water with charcoal and contrasting rough water. Finish with a beach or sea scene.
Week 5: August 8-10
"Round and Round We Go": Hampton Carousel explored with art.
- Tuesday - TBD
- Wednesday - Black and White drawing of a carousel horse, then decorate your horse with exciting colors
- Thursday - Continue with drawing carousel horses in full color using colored pencils.
Week 6: August 15-17
"Scales and Tails": All things fishy
- Tuesday - Fused glass to make fish bowls and wind chimes
- Wednesday - Paint fish that look alive and moving. Paint several fish, paying attention to where they are in relation to each other.
- Thursday - Draw local sea life with watercolor background. and in the afternoon "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" Draw weird and strange sea life (octopus, jellyfish, stingrays, etc)
Week 7: August 22-24
"Fins and Hooks": Arrh Matey-Let's get artsy with mermaids and pirates
- Tuesday - Decorate a box and make a picture in glass to go on top
- Wednesday - Paint a mermaid or a pirate in realistic setting, then have fun with exageration and imaginative colors
- Thursday - Pick a pirate, meraid or Kraken and silk screen a T-shirt. In the afternoon add extra decorations with colors and fabric paint.
Week 8: August 29-31
"Selfie": Who doesn't love an art selfie
- Tuesday - Fused Glass name plate and figures
- Wednesday - Weave a representative of yourself. In the afternoon make an "artsy selfie" box.
- Thursday - Learn about facial proportions and draw your face. In the afternoon color your face with skin tones or creative colors.